In watching the Ted Talk with Duncan Wardle, I noticed that he compared work to an argument. This was contiguous to what happens in my life. I started to think about the comparisons and I came to some conclusions. First off, when you work, your mind is persistent at an objective; this is similar with an argument because you try to back up your evidence to convey a message. After deciding to do the article, I realize that when making an article you are conveying an argument. Reiterating, when an author creates an article, they drive their agenda of what they are writing about. For example, a journalist at New York Times is going to find the top stories in New York because that is what people in that city want to see. For my article, I plan on doing a general interest article to create numerous topics that highlight my creative-confidence. These general interest articles have many styles, tropes, and editing techniques. Magazines have the ability to create emotion through imagery. This can be how the images are taken, or how they are to be perceived. What really catches the eye is an impactful cover that will make you want to grab it.
Next, the class did the "New Introductions" activity. This really dug into my creative side. Out of the topics, I chose the bucket list because I knew I could write about more topics that are important to me. I talked about traveling, good experiences, adventures, and interest. Towards the end Ms. Gartland made us stop, but I was not finished yet. I felt like I should of had all of my goals on there but I found a deeper meaning. I am only 17, how am I to know exactly what I want to do with the rest of my life. This is like asking a 6 year old what they want to do when they grow up; It's always changing. In my case, I have switched what I want to do in the future 4 times, and I'm not even in college yet. There are probably cool occupations out there that I have never heard of. I concluded that the youth do not know exactly what they want to do, and it will most likely change anyways as creativity shifts as you age.
Moreover, we took notes on movie tropes. These included all different kinds of genres and what trope signifies that genre. This is clearly pointed to a movie production, but implications of these tropes can be made in a magazine. Having a picture is half the battle, adding the text seals the deal. I can still achieve these tropes without a movie, because I can create the imagery that a reader will feel like they are actually in the scene. Action, drama, history, romance, can all be made through the beauty of a magazine article. With even the cover photo, I will be able to create a scene that will influence readers to want to read it.
Furthermore, we also took notes on movie genres. These are more in depth imagery type qualities that a movie should, but it can still be shown through an article. When reading an article, they always tend to have some type of theme. This theme can tend to have a genre placement dependent upon what tropes are seen through the article. With my article, I plan on having a lot of tropes from a lot of different genres. I won't have a set genre, but I am going to convey the sense of drama, action, and adventure, everyone wants to see.
Also, we took notes on the magazine genres. This was important to me because I was able to decide what type of magazine I am going to write. I thought about how the general interest magazine is one that covers a broad range of topics. This was influential for me because my writing and creative-confidence doesn't follow a certain type of topic. This kind of magazine type gives me the creative ability to write about a plethora of different topics that appeal to many different readers. This is ultimately why I chose to to do the general interest magazine.
Lastly, we took notes on magazines and their editors. Since I chose to do a general interest magazine, I looked for popular magazines that have this trait. Firstly, I found Readers Digest. These magazines are made by Dewitt Wallace and wife Lila Teneson. They started the magazine of a cheap budget during a time of war. This was truly an older traditionally made magazine. At first, they were rejected by publishers. Now, they are one of leading articles for more traditionally read people. Wallace sought to make the magazine on a positive tone, but critics thought this was unoriginal. While this has that sense of creative freedom, this is not the target article I want to make. The other article I took notes on is Vanity Fair. This article has glossy cover photos with big creative texts, bolded to attract readers. It has undergone a multitude of different start ups, but the restart of 1914 has lasted till today. The new editor of the time, Conde Nast, introduced this new magazine during a time of chaos. It was made to spread the new age of culture defiance. This is exactly what I want to write about. My target audience is the younger, zoomer, future, generation. I want to exemplify the creative artistic features of the new age. I want to spark a new type of magazine that builds a strong audience of readers.
No comments:
Post a Comment